PLEASE NOTE: THE APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR THIS YEAR WAS SEPTEMBER 12, 2014.
The Fox Global Directors Initiative (FDI) is a creative business resource to augment the efforts of the Fox entertainment businesses to deepen their talent pipeline and better engage global director talent. FDI has been developed to engender a director pool to amplify the features, television, and new media businesses at Fox. FDI’s Fox Directors Lab (the “Directors Lab”) will be held at Fox Studios in Los Angeles, CA in Fall 2014.
The multi-year initiative will leverage the expertise and commitment of the Company’s leadership and creative talent across its entertainment businesses, including Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Networks, Fox Broadcasting Company, Twentieth Century Fox Film, Fox International Channels, and many of its international entertainment businesses, to select and mentor fellows from a vast and diverse pool of talent.
20 participants selected by Fox global entertainment businesses will be invited to attend the Directors Lab. During the Directors Lab, the participants will attend interactive lab sessions with established showrunners, directors and creative executives to discuss case studies of their films and/or television series, gain an insider view of their career trajectories and analyze their respective creative processes.
Out of the 20 Directors Lab participants, 5 FDI Fellows will be selected. Each FDI Fellow will receive:
- A business and/or production mentor within the Fox organization.
- A fellowship stipend if selected as one of five (5) FDI Fellows.
- A grant from Fox to develop and direct a three (3) to five (5) minute short. The shorts created will be screened for Fox entertainment executives and may be screened at well-known festivals.
FDI is for directors who have a strong command of their craft and who are deeply committed to pursuing that craft as a profession. The goal of FDI is distinctive in equal parts to create an optimal resource for both experienced directors with unique perspectives that will be reflective of our broad and diverse audiences and the cross-divisional Fox creative executives who endeavor to continue to develop and distribute quality entertainment.
FDI is open solely to referred directors, as described below, with professional directing experience in film and/or television, or new media.
FDI is by nomination only. Nominations can be made by agencies, management companies and a select number of organizations identified by FOX which have a history of fostering strong emerging and developed talent from diverse backgrounds. Each such nominating organization has been invited to submit up to ten (10) directors affiliated with their organization, or respective agency/management company, who are representative of the criteria required by FDI and who they believe will most benefit from participation in the initiative. All nominees will be contacted by FDI and provided with a secure login and password to receive submission details and to apply to the initiative.
In considering candidates for FDI, Fox Audience Strategy will evaluate candidates based on the collective following:
- A directing sample (commercial, documentary, feature film, webisode, television episode or digital short).
- Submission of the electronic application.
- Strength of overall application and personal essay (as described above).
- A Fox Submission Release and Letter Agreement, which must be signed and notarized for the submitted commercial, documentary, feature film, webisode, television episode or digital short.
In addition to all requirements for the top 20 candidates, the top 5 fellows will also be judged on the strength of the recorded interview which will be distributed to the FDI Steering Committee. The FDI Steering Committee is comprised of Fox entertainment executives from participating businesses such as Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Networks, Fox Broadcasting Company, Twentieth Century Fox Film, Fox International Channels, and many of its international entertainment businesses.
FDI participants need to be available for:
- 4-6 weeks to participate in the Directors Lab at Fox Studios in Los Angeles, CA in Fall 2014 (exact dates TBD). The Directors Lab curriculum is designed with working participants in mind with most meetings scheduled on weekday evenings;
- A minimum of 2 weeks for the on-set production experience (FDI Fellows only)
There are no fees or tuition costs associated with participation in FDI.
This is an unpaid program; however, the 5 FDI Fellows will be provided with a stipend during their participation in FDI. Please note all travel and housing are the responsibility of the participant.
While employment cannot be guaranteed, every aspect of the initiative is designed with the goal to provide the FDI Fellows with intensive creative and professional development and valuable opportunities that will enable the FDI Fellows to succeed in their careers.
FDI is by nomination only. Fox has identified a select number of organizations which have a history of fostering strong emerging and developed talent from diverse backgrounds. These organizations, as well as agencies and management companies, have been invited to nominate up to ten (10) directors affiliated with their organization, or respective agency/management company, who are representative of the criteria required by FDI and who they believe will most benefit from participation in the initiative. All nominees will be contacted by FDI and provided with a secure login and password to receive submission details and to apply to the initiative.
The nominating organizations* include, but are not limited to, the following:
- AFI Directing Workshop for Women
- Alliance for Inclusion in the Arts
- Alliance of Women Directors
- Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment (CAPE)
- Cosby Program
- East West Players
- Film Independent
- Film Society of Lincoln Center
- FOX | HBCU Media Alliance
- Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
- HOLA Film Festival
- LA Skins Fest
- Media Access Awards
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP)
- Lady Filmmakers
- Latino Donor Collaborative
- Los Angeles Film Festival
- Morehouse Filmmakers Association
- National Hispanic Foundation of the Arts
- National Hispanic Media Coalition (NHMC)
- New Directors / New Films MoMA
- NewFilmmakers Los Angeles (NFMLA)
- New York Foundation for the Arts
- New York Women in Film & Television
- Producers Guild of America
- Visual Communications
- Women and Hollywood
- Women In Film Los Angeles
- Women Make Movies
*Additional organizations may be added so please check back for periodic updates.
If you are a director who is affiliated with at least one (1) of these organizations, or represented by an agency or management company, and would like to be nominated for FDI, please contact the respective organization, or your representation, directly. Unsolicited applications to FDI will not be considered.
Submissions accepted through September 12, 2014
All terms and conditions of FDI are subject to change. Fox reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time.